Sunday 1 December 2013

Revlon ColourStay Foundation for Oily/Combination Skin Review

Revlon ColourStay Foundation Combination/Oily Skin

ColourStay must be the most popular foundation by Revlon as the YouTube and blogging world have been all over it since it's release.

I must admit that I was really slow on the uptake of this one and only recently bought it, even though I have really oily skin and this seems to be a holy grail product for my skin type.
 

First Impressions
My first impressions of this foundation were that the packaging in the glass bottle was good, it didn't look cheap like some drugstore foundations do, although I am disappointed that it doesn't come with a pump as I feel it is messy, unsanitary and rather wasteful if you pour it onto your hand. I also think that with the price point being £12.95, which puts it at the higher end of the drugstore range, they could have made a pump for it! 

First Application
My first time applying this foundation was awful as it caked up, was really heavy on my skin and I had also bought the wrong colour which didn't help, it just looked a mess. I had never had this from a foundation before, I really couldn't understand why people kept raving about it.

However I then looked into some of the reviews and tutorials for it and realised that with this particular foundation it was best applied with a damp sponge. Once I had learnt this I have it another go, mixing it with a slightly darker foundation to get the right colour and this time applying it with the new Real Techniques Miracle Complexion Sponge and it was brilliant, the coverage was much sheerer so you could build it up with more layers if needed and it wasn't cakey at all, the damp sponge made such a difference!

 
I have now bought the right colour and this has turned into one of my favourite foundations as it drys matte and stays put all day without getting too shiny.

How long does it last?
Even on my oily skin, I found that this foundation does last all day and still looks good. I also found that once it has set it doesn't transfer either. I also didn't need to apply extra powder.

N.B. I did use Smashbox Photo Finish Primer to give a smooth base before applying this foundation.

 
Colours
There are 9 different shades in the range which is relatively good for a drugstore foundation but like with the majority of foundations it doesn't go into the tanned or darker skin tone ranges far enough in my opinion, however it does cater to those I the range from very light to medium skin tones.
 
Price
This foundation is currently priced at £12.49 at Boots in the UK, but at the time of me writing this there is a 3 for 2 offer on the Revlon range.

A few words of caution...
Make sure you colour match before buying this foundation! As I mentioned I bought the wrong colour, this is because I was quite lazy and didn't test it first, I assumed that I would be the colour Ivory (or in the lightest colour in the range) as I am with many of my other foundations, however Revlon ColourStay goes into the very light skin tone range so I am actually in the shade Natural Beige which is three shades darker.
This foundation like many other long lasting ones drys very VERY quickly so I would avoid dotting it all over you face first and just apply and blend it into one section of your face at a time.
I have also read that some users of this foundation find it difficult to remove which I can understand as it is a long lasting foundation (Revlon claims it can last up to 24 hours) but I removed mine with Loreal Micellar Cleansing Water and it was fine. 
 
 
Rating
In all I think that this foundation, when applied correctly, is absolutely perfect for oily skin.
I give this foundation 4.9/5 (would have been 5/5 if there was a pump!).

Thanks for reading!

Love Hannah xoxo
 

No comments:

Post a Comment